Nutrition is a VAST and complex field in which someone who ONLY studies nutrition should be giving out dietary advice. I have partnered with Angelique of Functional Medicine and Nutrition to offer the LATEST and greatest food advice that is backed up with science. Angelique is a Registered Dietitian and holds her esteemed Masters of Science degree in Functional Medicine & Nutrition.
Her website is: http://www.functionalmedrd.com for more information but I will post some of her content here on this page for your quick perusal.
Angelique Crandall, MS, RDN, CDE
How does Functional Medicine Nutrition differ from the average Nutrition or RD approach?
Functional Medicine is a way of treating individuals as unique beings and seeing them as a whole, instead of treating just parts or pieces of the person. It is a way of getting to the root cause of dysfunction and disease. Functional Medicine is patient centered, so by listening to each person's story, the practitioner can tailor their treatment plan to fit their personal needs. It is also integrative, using or referring to many different modalities including nutrition protocols, exercise recommendations, supplements, stress management techniques, etc. Depending on the patient's needs, nutrition assessments may involve comprehensive stool tests, food sensitivity testing, organic acids profiles and hormone panels. Treatments used in Functional Medicine have been shown through the latest research and practice to get lasting results without harmful side effects.
A Functional Medicine Nutritionist empowers patients to take their health into their own hands and works with Doctors and other health professionals that will act as team players in the best interests of each individual's goals.
Education and Experience:
Angelique has a Master's degree in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine from the University of Western States where she now serves as a course facilitator. She received her Bachelors of Science in Nutrition from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, where she also completed her Dietetic Internship to become a Registered and Licensed Dietitian. She went on to become a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE).
Angelique worked for a group of Pediatric Cardiologists for three years, and she had the opportunity to work with overweight children and their families, assisting them to achieve optimal health through diet, exercise and lifestyle. She has also had the privilege to work in a holistic medical practice at Bridges in Medicine, as well as in a corporate clinical wellness program as a contractor to Sandia National Labs. She has been able to see a wide range of patients both one on one and with group classes. She has experience with numerous health conditions including diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, acid reflux, IBS, osteoporosis, autoimmunity, allergies and obesity.
Before studying nutrition, Angelique worked as a fitness instructor/personal trainer and maintains fitness certification through the American Council on Exercise (ACE). She integrates this knowledge and experience into her client's/patient's unique protocols. She is a Certified Leap Therapist (CLT), specializing in food sensitivities, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Fibromyalgia, Migraine Headaches and other inflammatory conditions. She uses a Functional Medicine 5R approach to gut healing.
She is currently practicing Functional Medicine Nutrition with local Albuquerque residence and beyond via Phone, Skype and Face Time.
She resides in Tijeras with her family and enjoys hiking, biking, running and snow shoeing in the beautiful Sandias. She has always had a passion for cooking and making healthy foods taste delicious. She has taken several cooking courses over the years and continues to experiment and learn daily in her own kitchen.
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE): Assist those with pre-diabetes and diabetes to improve blood sugars naturally using a real whole food approach.
- Functional Medicine Training: Masters degree program and AFMCP: Applied Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice with Institute of functional medicine.
- Healing intestinal permeability, aka 'leaky gut,' with food, supplements and stress management.
- Treating SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), Candida and other forms of dysbioses or imbalances of the gut bacteria.
- Supporting healthy gut flora (bacteria) with food, probiotics and prebiotics, specific to each individual's needs.
- Food Sensitivities--Certified LEAP Therapist (CLT): Using Mediator Release Testing (MRT) to assist people with a unique elimination diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Fibromyalgia, Migraines and other delayed onset food hypersensitivities
- Supporting Detoxificaiton with food, supplements and toxin avoidance.
- Supporting Mitochondrial function with food, exercise, supplements and lifestyle.
- Functional Medicine testing can identify toxins, heavy metals, pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria, yeast/fungus and viruses. Functional Medicine testing can also assess bacteria balance, gut function, digestion, absorption and utilization of nutrients or nutrient status. We are not just what we eat but rather what we actually absorb.
Proudly powered by Weebly